About Me

My photo
.Junior. .University of Hawaii at Manoa Warrior. .Food Science and Human Nutrition major. .FSHN Council President. .Infected with the Travel Bug.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Busy, busy, busy! This is making up for the past few days...

I haven't written in a few days...yes yes I know, I'm sorry! I've been
pretty busy with trying to get class field trips figured out, catch up
on reading for class, work, and class itself! I'm finally starting to
get back in swing of things for school! Today is a great day, because we
enter the AMAZON RIVER! Yes, we cruise up the Amazon river to Manaus,
Brazil! I'm really excited because Brazil is just a few days away!
Apparently I heard from someone that we're the largest ship of our size
that can actually go up the Amazon river...not sure if that's true, but
thought I'd just put it out there.

Oh! Yesterday was an amazing day! We have "Reading Days" which are days
we're supposedly to catch up on reading for class (you would not believe
how much reading for each class!), but it's really a day to relax =P I
did do quite a bit of reading....while tanning on the pool deck. I also
went to work! So it was a pretty productive day I would say. Except
every time I was tanning, the rain clouds would like to come up (or I
guess we would sail up to it) and it would start raining 30-45 minutes
after I laid out! This happened 3 times...not even joking. I did get
pretty burnt though! If you know me, I don't get burnt very often, but
those 30-45 minutes of on and off clouds got me pretty red! I guess with
being on a ship with the water reflecting UV rays and also being right
at the equator does it to you! >_< You would not believe how many people
on the ship are red though....It's pretty bad. If you know the Semester
at Sea program it is mostly Caucasian dominant, so you see some pretty
bad tans in class and around the ship!

So since yesterday was a reading day, we have classes A and B today and
tomorrow. Yes, we have class on Saturdays and Sundays! The Reading Days,
Reflection Days, and Prep Days are used as spacers between long periods
before the next port. We have B classes tomorrow, then we have a "Brazil
Day" because the day after we get into Manaus. hahaha I love all the
holidays we have. It's pretty amazing! We technically only have 22 days
for each class so that would be 11 weeks of school at Manoa =P The class
field trips are supposed to make up for the short in class time though.
They say we have about a 13 week semester for SAS, which is fine
compared to the 16 weeks at Manoa! The crappy thing is I just found out
that my credits and also my grades go straight to my Manoa transcripts,
so I really can't goof off and it could be a semester where I could
boost my GPA! That's pretty much the update for everything that has been
going on. There's been many meetings and activities that we have to
attend or sometimes have a choice in attending so I've been pretty busy
other than class and work. I hardly find enough time to read for class.
Other than that, it's been really fun! =] I'll update again if I can see
us actually enter the Amazon! If not, you may not here from me till Manaus!

Miho

No comments:

Post a Comment